There are still many secret, sinister phenomena on the Grey Isles. When the moon is at its highest or when the sun is eclipsed by Frostgrimm Mountain on the horizon, one of the following encounters may occur to a visitor of the Isles:
- Paintings and statues whisper warnings and ill omens, but they only move in one’s peripheral view: when examined directly, they are still.
- Plainly visible footsteps of an unseen being walk from a character’s room to an obviously freshly bricked-up doorway. What lies beyond?
- An old journal is being written by an invisible person: the current entry, penned by an unseen hand, is dated over fifty years ago. It details the emotional troubles of a young noble lady in love with Laszlo, one of the servant staff. Despite his cruelty and coldness, she is madly in love with him. If investigated, Laszlo is still around, but is very old and pretends to be senile. The girl’s remains can be found in the garden, Laszlo’s name written all over her bones.
- A huge wooden cupboard full of ancient fur coats. Entering it on New Moon nights (when the Flaming Stair to the Opal City appears) will reveal a secret passage to the Queen’s former room, which is still fully furnished and decorated with beautiful and morbid curiosities. The single, narrow gothic window is made of blood-red glass. An important quest item or highly-sought substance can be found here.
- There is a fountain in a courtyard full of dead roses. At night, it sprouts rose-scented water. When the basin is full, a key appears. It is made of black crystal. It will fit the lock of the next locked door that they attempt to open. There one new key every week; it opens a different door each time (or the same one, if it gets locked again).
- In a dusty corner of a forgotten room is a small child’s doll. It has curly blond hair and incredibly life-like glass eyes. Despite the somewhat creepy appearance, holding it makes a person feel safe and content. Holding the doll grants the owner an advantage to checks to resist fear. If kept in one’s bed at night, it will awaken the owner if danger is present. After a week of owning it, the character’s eye colour with change to match the doll’s (blue in the left eye, black in the right).